Sunday, September 27, 2020

 "Eileen" is a very good book, quite effective at certain things that Ottessa Moshfegh seems to have wanted to do. Bring you into the body, and a bad feeling body of a person at that, looking out at a difficult family life. I wondered as I went if she meant the whole thing as a metaphor for America or something but .. eh, doesn't matter. Because the whole experiment worked and I'm sure Moshfegh is a better writer even, for the effort. That body pulled along by the main character Eileen, manages to move on to a better life through a series of triggering events at the end. But along the way, the vignettes are filled with self observations and world observations and exclamations that astounded and delighted me because I just don't seem to encounter many writers (so far) who embrace this darker side of human feeling. Which is, after all, way common for myself and friends. Who actually feels that great all the time about living, especially when living amongst other people who may hold power over us and not be using said power for the benefit of all. A brave book.

No comments:

Post a Comment