Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Discussion, negotiation with the Ancestors

The weight we carry is

like ghosts of the past.

Me: my mother screaming

to the sky

consolidated it all for me:

her grandmother knew she 

couldn't have another kid, no money

(my mother told me recently)

and died terribly in that illegal abortion, 1906,

she wanted everything

for my grandmother and her sister.

But my mother thought she could do it 

but was wrong, she couldn't

handle it without the village,

the village we never had growning up, or we had

but kept leaving it all behind.

My Dad carrying the weight,

the Kansas sun where everything grows so tall,

born to devout parents also both footloose

but settled in Florida, another tropical country,

so far away from Greenich Village,

though Carl Sandberg did come to visit

Winter Park once and sang songs all night long.

A justice warrior, the town of Eakinsville a few miles

away (the only African American incorporated town

in America) my grandmother campaigned against

the KKK (remembering bloody Kansas?)

and her sister Theresa was a missionary in Africa.

So my father became a civil rights worker

at Quaker work camps. His father

an unknown poet & teacher,

(rhyming was out of style)

must of felt anger caged in,

he says they didn't get along

and he ran away a few times

to Uncle Warren's (who became a corporate

lawyer in DC later and gave me 10 dollars

in a wallet, but I didn't keep it).

The intensity glowing I picked up on it somehow,

went to Fla to live at 20 years, to live in that house,

all the books and orange trees,

my Grandmother like an angel combing

long grey hair 100 times every morning.

A little log cabin out back

where I'd read my Whitman.

I wanted to breathe the air

in that haunted house but went crazy

from Woodrose seeds in my belly, floating,

and just had to come back to Philly.

To Richard and Maria and our nothing to do

life but carry that unknown weight.


'Change the world' means nothing comparitively.

Am I seeing already in only a few pages

of the Murakami book 'Dance, Dance, Dance"

what he means?

Everyone is born into the weight they carry

choosing rightly or wrongly,

smelling it out at a young age.

And then later, looking back

can discern that weight

and how they chose to carry it.

Its not about being someone at all.

Its about carrying well.

That moment in a backyard cemented a deal

between the sky and me, my little brother

I now see, watching me watch my sister

go to mother screaming and comfort her.

This is the last piece in the puzzle:

my mother relating to me recently,

oh about a year ago, that

her father and mother fought a lot,

terrible fights i discerned from between

her words.

I don't think she reconciled with her father

(a terrible bone cancer, painful, during

the end of her college years), because

she doesn't see she might

reconcile with me about the weight.

Doesn't notice within my words.

Reconciliation Needed should be

the title of this poem.

That's my family for you,

holding the weight 

UP.

My father perhaps the best

with deep prayer. But he's the least

with connected thoughts, or ideas. The best way

to think of it is as

if every family is haunted

by the past decisions of the ancestors.

Not a bad thing if there's some conversation there

that holds water.

Anger as daggers growing

in my feet, claws that want to propel

me for miles, spring loaded calves

good for my tai chi floating. 

I float to dream.

Like our cats have claws

in all four limbs

I've been having a cat fight with the living Earth

for too many years, I want to ride here on out

like Sumi rides on my shoulders, she's queen

of me when she's riding my horse.

We float together from room to room.

Looking for the weight of purpose,

the kitchen holds it all, my appetite

is too much, especially when I'm in the rocker,

watching tv, commenting on the plot,

detective series, not sure how many episodes

are left. The cleanest ones start with

a dead body and the detective is interrupted

from their daily mundane,

or perhaps from sleep.

But at least perhaps the horrible violence

has already been done, but perhaps not.

and so the weight like a point in time

and a wave form perhaps seemingly from nowhere.

And some say that tragedy is how humans learn,

always the wound, someone's opening another

Pandora's box right now.

The lesson of not getting along.

I was a long distance runner

as a kid training for this.

Large heart capacity to span

the generations of faces.


And so when I look into Jessie's face

I see her seeing depths

she doesn't know yet.

No one knows their own face,

what it holds, the people they've seen

who've seen beloved faces who've seen

faces.

Fooled by motion pictures to think

that person knows, we watch them endlessly

NOT know yet what they know.

We wish to help them hold it all and should be

helping ourselves. I help Jessie, she already helps me hold

it all and put it down, a stone bench

in the back yard for Jeb, my younger brother

who has passed on.

Weight and purpose, my brother

and her husband, seriously.

We can say the words 'death' or 'passing',

'left us', the 'great beyond'. I saw

how light hearted Richard was

before going on, the day before

the day before the morning of. His 

last words something like

'That Sue, she's a good one.' to the nurse,

and no we're not afraid

of talking about the ancestors

looking down over us,

the only ones who have earned their opinions.

The most difficult task to discern and

then to talk about, the ancestor's commands

on a sunny day in Hartford.

I should change the name of this

long form poem then.


No comments:

Post a Comment